Last modified: January 11, 2021
"Personal data" refers to any data which directly or indirectly identifies an individual, or is capable of doing so. When you visit our Site, you are not obligated to provide any personal data to us.
We collect personal data that you knowingly and voluntarily disclose to us, for instance, you may submit your personal details when you request information from us, when you register/sign up for our newsletter or when you receive services provided on or through the Site (if any).
The types of personal data we collect may include, but are not limited to:
- your personal information such as your title, first and family name;
- your contact information such as telephone number and email address;
- your business information such as your organization, job title and your country or region; and
- your comments and enquiries submitted to us through the Site.
We also automatically collect certain data about your use of the Site such as log files, cookies, browser type and other computer or device information as described below.
We may also collect information about the equipment or device that you use to access the Site, such as the operating system, hardware version, device settings, equipment or device location, and connection information, such as your IP address.
You are responsible for ensuring all personal data you provide is accurate and complete.
We may use data provided by you for a number of purposes:
- If you have elected to receive communications from us, your personal data may be used by us to send you information about us and/or to receive our latest corporate news. We may do this through either e-newsletters and/or e-mails. We retain your personal data for as long as you wish to receive information from us. You can decide not to receive communications or updates from us at any time by contacting us or by using the unsubscribe function included in each email.
- When you contact us outside of our Site or email communications, we may use your personal data to answer your questions. For this purpose we process your name, your contact information, your correspondence with us about your question and any other personal data you have provided with us and which is required to answer your question. Your data will be kept in our systems for as long as legally required.
All personal data held by us is kept strictly confidential but we may, where such disclosure is necessary to satisfy the purpose, or a directly related purpose, for which the data was collected provide and transfer (whether in Hong Kong or overseas) such information to the following parties:
- any subsidiaries, holding companies, associated companies, or affiliates of, or companies directly or indirectly controlled by, or under common control with us;
- any person or company who is acting for or on behalf of us, or jointly with us, in respect of the purpose or any directly related purpose for which the data was provided;
- any other person or entity who is under a duty of confidentiality to us and has undertaken to keep such information confidential, provided such person or company has a legitimate purpose to keep such information; and
- law enforcement agencies, regulatory authorities, government departments and related organizations, courts and tribunals, as required or authorised by applicable laws applicable to us or any of our subsidiaries, holding companies, associated companies or affiliates (whether in Hong Kong or elsewhere).
- any proposed or actual participant, assignee or transferee of all or any part of our operations or business, including but not limited to the Site or any acquirer of China Telecom Corporation Limited; and
- any organisations who manage our business and corporate strategies (and for such purposes), including those involved in a transfer or sale of all or part of our assets or business and those involved in managing our corporate risk and funding functions.
We may from time to time also use aggregate non-identifying information about our users to better design and improve the services we offer. This information will not identify any individual in particular.
A "cookie" is a small file containing a string of characters that is placed on your computer, mobile phone or other device when you access a website or other web content. We and our third party tracking-utility partners may from time to time gather certain information automatically via such cookies and similar technologies and store it as log data.
We use our own cookies and similar technologies to personalise your experience on your visit to the Site and for various other purposes, including:
- remembering you. For instance, cookies, and similar technologies can help us keep the preferences or information that you have previously provided; and
As with most websites, we automatically gather system-related and non-personally identifiable information and store it in log files, which are automatically recognised by our web server. This information includes IP addresses (the unique address which identifies your computer on the internet), browser type, ISP, referring/exit pages, operating system, data/time stamp, and clickstream data.
We use this information, which does not identify users, to analyse trends, to administer the Site and to gather demographic information about our user base as a whole. We do not link this automatically-collected information to personally identifiable information.
We operate and may continue to operate servers in a number of jurisdictions around the world, and the server on which your personal data is used and stored is in Hong Kong.
We take the security of your personal data seriously. We utilize and use a variety of administrative, technical and physical safeguards and security measures to protect the personal data you provide on this Site against accidental, unlawful or unauthorized destruction, loss, alteration, access, disclosure or use and any other unlawful forms of processing. For instance, we will use encryption technology (such as SSL) to protect certain sensitive Information provided by you to us. All the data is protected and only available to authorized personnel and subcontractors.
You should be aware that no system is impenetrable and no information provided over the Internet can be guaranteed to be completely secure. Accordingly, we cannot guarantee the security of any information that you transmit to us or receive from us over the Internet. Our systems and the communications networks through which you access our services may be subject to security breaches and failures which are due to circumstances beyond our reasonable control.
Subject to applicable laws and regulations, we will only retain your personal data for so long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes as set out above.
Subject to applicable laws and regulations, you have the right to check what Personal Data we hold about you and to request access to or correction of your Personal Data, or to request that we delete any of your Personal Data that is stored by us.
If you wish to exercise the abovementioned rights, or if you have any enquiries about our processing of your Personal Data, please contact our Investor Relations Department via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via postal mail at 28/F., Everbright Centre, 108 Gloucester Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong (attention: Investor Relations Department).
We will respond to all requests made to our Investor Relations Department under this section in accordance with applicable laws. Satisfactory proof and/or explanation of the inaccuracy is essential before we would consider correcting the specified data.